Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Book Review of Jonathan Mooney's "The Short Bus"




Well gang it's time to leave the election process behind for awhile and get back to some business. We recieved a copy of a book to review awhile ago and I read the book but had not had a chance to post this review. Please click on the link below for informaiton on the book and Jonathan Mooney the writer.

Jonathon Mooney and "The Short Bus"


I can assure you when we opened the package and took a look at the book I rolled my eyes and said there is no way I will enjoy this book.

Well the book is written from the views of Jon Mooney and his travels around the country visiting with people with disabilities of all kinds. The common thread is that they all were involved in Special Education in thier schools.

I can tell you there were some tough spots in the book that I had to keep my emotions in check and remember why I was reading the book. When I was done I shocked myself by saying this is the most amazing book I have ever read. I understood things from a very different view point. It reaffirmed to me that in many ways my thinking and actions are correct and somethings I need to rethink.

If you have a child with a disability and they are in the school system this is a must read. Jon shares some amazing stories of success and failures but overall you walk away knowing that normal is only what you decide normal is.

Jonathan, thanks for sending this book to us and I am glad to give it two thumbs up and classify it as a BigDawg must read. Please go to his website and check him out.


And after reading this book I have added a visit to Burning Man onto my bucket list.

PEACE DUDE!

3 comments:

All 4 My Gals said...

Daggone it you beat me! I meant to do this weekend.
HUGS

Anonymous said...

Nice review. I'm with you, I am usually very tentative when it comes to reading a book about someone and their random adventures. However, this looks interesting, and since you liked it so much, I'll have to keep an eye out.

Anonymous said...

I am reading this book now and it is really amazing. As a Mom of a child with an as-yet undiagnosed genetic condition (we think), it is really striking a chord.

see my rambling blog also at
http://puyallupmomma.blogspot.com/