Sunday, May 13, 2007

Prenatal Testing!

There once again has been much discussion about the latest prenatal testing guidelines spurred by an article in the New York Times. I am not going to link the articles or any of the posts in this post I am just going to share some thoughts as the very proud father of a son with Down syndrome and the husband (happy mothers day Mauzy) to a contributor to the gifts book....

1. Prenatal testing for Down syndrome to me is not a Pro-life or Pro-Choice debate so why does everyone try to lump it in there. It is also not a Right or Left debate. If 90% of positive tests are terminated do we believe those 90% are all Pro-Choice left wingers....I doubt it...Politics is always just a convienence....

2. Don't presume anything about meor my son because he has Down syndrome. DS is only one part of what makes up my son and his personality. And don't presume I am a raving cheerleader for Down syndrome....I am not....but what I am is one Big Mean Dawg Champion for people with Down syndrome. We often remind people that we call the group we Started Dads Appreciating Down syndrome because most of us agreed we hate it a little before we learned to appreciate it.

3. I always love the comment from people when they see Nash and I together.....ohh...he is so cute and they are always so happy....REALLY? Come on over and spend a dinner hour with me when he does not want what's on his plate. People with Down syndrome have the same range of emotions as all of us...

4. Don't ever call me a Saint or refer to how great I am because you could never handle having a child with ds. Give me a break....I am no Saint and no one knows what they can handle until it's put on your plate.......

5. If you don't know that individuals with Down syndrome learn very well just differently and can attend college and hold good paying jobs ( I know some that make more money a year then I do and I am not hurting) don't preach to me......ask some questions and learn.....


So with a few comments I am done.....the debate will roll on and it will be all about Pro-life and Pro-Choice, Religion and Atheist (geez, like that has not caused enough wars) and the Peter Singers of the world that think the world is only for the wonderful elite like themselves....

As for me.....Nash and I are gonna celebrate Mothers Day with his mommy and call his grandmothers.....then we are gonna mow the grass on the John Deere....and after that we are gonna do whatever we feel like and Down syndrome will not run thru my head again until I get back on line..............


PEACE DUDE

No comments: