Saturday, November 05, 2005

Howdy World

Well here I am with my brand new blog and I am still not 100% sure what the heck a blog really is. I hope to be able to share many thoughts, views and experiences with you on a regular basis.

So how in the world did I get here. I grew up in a small town in central Indiana and have been able to keep those small town characteristics that have served me so well. Anyone that knows me will assure you that I have an opinion on everything and I am usually ready willing and able to share it and I will here in big dawg tales.

My life changed dramatically on February 16, 2001 when my son was born. Nash came into this world with a bang and changed my life for ever. Not long after Nash was born the doctor came in my wife's hospital room and very professionally explained to us that based on his visual diagnosis that Nash had Down syndrome. Now I played football in high school and college and I can tell you I had never been hit as hard as I was hit with this information. Not because of Down syndrome but because I had already counted Nash's fingers, toes, ears, eyes ect and had been holding him for about 2 hours and I knew he was perfect. Why did this hit me so hard? Because I knew nothing about Down syndrome, I had never met anyone with Down syndrome and never read anything about Down syndrome.... I was clueless! My only reference was Chris Burke who played Corky on the television show "Life Goes On", and I am thankful my only reference was that positive role and am thankful to be able to call Chris Burke my friend today.

Inside this blog I will share more stories about the first few days and the first few years and the current happenings in our journey and the many surprising directions it has taken.

Besides Down syndrome I will talk about many things including football and politics.....It should be fun.

2 comments:

Belovedlife said...

Welcome! I look forward to hearing more about NAsh, he sounds wonderful as all our special kids are.
Oh, I found you through my husbands blog where you left a comment (down syndrome life)
I think it is great to get more of the dads blogging...helps even out the perspectives

Jeff said...

belovedlife

Thanks for the note....this is all new to me still.

I look forward to reading more of both of your blogs.